Date Crumb Cake
This recipe makes a big pan perfect for holiday entertaining. Guests always comment on this cake's wonderful old-fashioned flavor.
Shelly Korell, Bayard, Nebraska
12-15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in shortening until mixture
- resembles coarse crumbs; set aside 1 cup for topping. To the
- remaining crumb mixture, add eggs, buttermilk, baking powder and
- baking soda; beat until smooth. Fold in dates and walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; sprinkle with
- reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire
- rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 267 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.