Date Bars Recipe
I used to be the cafeteria manager at a grade school and these bars were always a hit.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup broken walnuts, optional
- 1-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until thick. Stir in nuts if desired.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add water and mix lightly. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread date mixture on top. Cover with remaining oat mixture; pat lightly.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 113 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC