- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup broken walnuts, optional
- 1-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until thick. Stir in nuts if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add water and mix lightly. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread date mixture on top. Cover with remaining oat mixture; pat lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Reviews forDate Bars
"This looks like my Mom's recipe that I've been looking for. Can't wait to try ."
"This is the exact same recipe as The Best Date Bars, also on this site, both from Taste of Home recipes!??!"
"This recipe turned out delishious! I used high quality dates which were quite sweet already so I decreased the white sugar to half. If you like a thicker middle of dates I would suggest a smaller size pan; a 9 x 9x 2. If your a date lover this reciepe is a must."
"These bars were great. I used Splenda and Splenda Brown Sugar and I added a little water while mixing the oats. I took these to Sunday School and everyone loved them."