- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup broken walnuts, optional
- 1-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until thick. Stir in nuts if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add water and mix lightly. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread date mixture on top. Cover with remaining oat mixture; pat lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Reviews for Date Bars
Sort By :
This is the exact same recipe as The Best Date Bars, also on this site, both from Taste of Home recipes!??!
This recipe turned out delishious! I used high quality dates which were quite sweet already so I decreased the white sugar to half. If you like a thicker middle of dates I would suggest a smaller size pan; a 9 x 9x 2. If your a date lover this reciepe is a must.
These bars were great. I used Splenda and Splenda Brown Sugar and I added a little water while mixing the oats. I took these to Sunday School and everyone loved them.