Dark Chocolate Souffle Recipe
Chocolate lovers won't be able to resist this rich souffle from our Test Kitchen home economists. The addition of a little orange extract provides a perfect complement.
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Grease a 1-1/2-qt. souffle dish with 1 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar into dish and turn to coat thoroughly; tap out excess sugar and discard.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; add chocolate and remaining butter. Cook and stir until chocolate is melted; remove from the heat.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot filling into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla; transfer to a large bowl.
- 4. In a bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar on high until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg white mixture into chocolate batter until blended. Fold in remaining egg white mixture until no white streaks remain.
- 5. Pour into prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 6. For topping, in a small chilled bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add cream. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Serve souffle immediately with a dollop of topping. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 491 calories, 32 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 220 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC