Dark Chocolate Souffle Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 1-1/2-qt. souffle dish with 1 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar into dish and turn to coat thoroughly; tap out excess sugar and discard.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; add chocolate and remaining butter. Cook and stir until chocolate is melted; remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot filling into yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla; transfer to a large bowl.
- In a bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar on high until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg white mixture into chocolate batter until blended. Fold in remaining egg white mixture until no white streaks remain.
- Pour into prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For topping, in a small chilled bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add cream. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Serve souffle immediately with a dollop of topping. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Souffle(2)
Sort By :
I substitued chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate.
This was HEAVENLY!!!! I had to dirty a lot of dishes though, but definately worth it!! I kept it in the souffle pan and I sprinkled it with powdered sugar. I used store bought Cool-whip instead of making it like they said. SOOOOO good!!