Dark Chocolate Sauce
You don't have to cross chocolate off your dessert menu, thanks to recipes like this one from Deanne Bagley, "It's simple to satisfy you sweet tooth by draping low-fat pound cake or fat-free ice cream with this rich glossy sauce," she writes from Bath, New York. "Use it to make hot chocolate, too...or as a dip for fresh fruit."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cocoa and cornstarch.
- Stir in milk and coffee until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in
- vanilla. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 77 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.