Dark Chocolate Pudding Recipe
"It's not Valentine's Day without a chocolate dessert," notes field editor Lillian Julow from Lawrenceville, GA. Her rich old-fashioned treat is oh-so-creamy and comforting!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 dark chocolate candy bar (6.8 ounces), melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ghost Peeps candy and candy pumpkins, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in melted chocolate and vanilla until blended. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate until cold. If desired, top servings with candies. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without candies) equals 266 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC