Dark Chocolate Pudding
"It's not Valentine's Day without a chocolate dessert," notes field editor Lillian Julow from Gainesville, Florida. Her rich old-fashioned treat is oh-so-creamy and comforting!
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 dark chocolate candy bar (7 ounces), melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, grated chocolate and Pirouette cookies
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in
- milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to pan
- and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the
- heat; gradually whisk in chocolate and vanilla until smooth.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate. Spoon into
- dessert dishes. Garnish with whipped cream, grated chocolate and
- cookies. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4-6 servings.