Dark Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe
—David Heppner, Brandon, Florida
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee, cooled
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, coffee, eggs, oil, chocolate and vanilla until well blended. In another large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, combine the cream, sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and butter until melted.
- 4. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
One slice equals 816 calories, 41 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 569 mg sodium, 112 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Layer Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC