When working with such little ingredients its a good rule of thumb to use the best ingredients - such as buying a good quality bittersweet chocolate. By adding pomegranate juice it adds a subtle fruit flavor but still retains the intense chocolate flavor. —Vivian Taylor, Middleburg, Florida
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Optional garnishes: whipped cream, pomegranate seeds and confectioners' sugar
- Line the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan with parchment paper; grease the paper and sides of pan. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small saucepan, bring pomegranate juice and sugar to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until syrupy. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- In a large saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in pomegranate mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk eggs into chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Place in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Place cake on a serving platter. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Pour over cake, allowing ganache to drape down the sides. Let stand until set. Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds and dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Dark Chocolate Flourless Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p26
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Flourless Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review