- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Spoon into pastry shell. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Cream Pie
"Luv this pie for large get togethers. I've made triple batches and it comes out great. I round up to four ounces of chocolate cuz who has use for the last bit in the pack? Comes in 4oz packs for a reason"
"This pie is good, but I have a GREAT recipe with meringue I lieu of whipped topping...so much better!!!!!"
"I have been looking for "The Perfect Chocolate Pie" this was a winner all the way around just like my grandmother use to make!!"
"This pie is really good and chocolate-y. It definitely needs a whipped cream topping,to balance out the chocolate. Tasted yummy!"
"Best chocolate pie ever!"
"Made this for Thanksgiving. It was a fantastic pie and everyone loved it. I will make this again."
"This is good, however, I almost always double my pie filling recipes as we like them deeper. This one I double. I also useat least 2C of whipping cream and 4c of milk if I am doubling. Great! Doesn't get a film on top."
"Very yummy!! Tastes like chocolate pudding in a pie crust- but better. I have made a chocolate pie before but this one definitely turned out tastier. It looked exactly like the picture. I made a homemade pie crust to go with it, not that hard to do. I did not have cornstarch on hand so I used 1/2 cup all-purpose flour in place of 1/4 cornstarch and it turned out perfectly. I made this pie last night and it is half gone after lunch!"
"I used a graham cracker crust instead and it was amazing!"
"I've made better chocolate pies. This one isn't the best. The chocolate doesn't melt well...and the pie gets that thick rubbery film on top. I suggest if you make this pie, to top it with meringue so the top stays moist... I'm going to go back to using my original recipe."