- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Spoon into pastry shell. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Cream Pie
"Very rich and delicious! Make sure you cool the pie thoroughly before covering and putting in the refrigerator. If you don't a thin skin of fat/oils will form on the top. This was not mentioned adequately."
"This pie is good, but I have a GREAT recipe with meringue I lieu of whipped topping...so much better!!!!!"
"This is good, however, I almost always double my pie filling recipes as we like them deeper. This one I double. I also useat least 2C of whipping cream and 4c of milk if I am doubling. Great! Doesn't get a film on top."