A colleague brought this in one day for someone’s birthday. I grow zucchini in my garden so I had a lot of opportunities to experiment with the recipe. My mother-in-law loves it, and she doesn’t even know that it’s also pretty good for you. —Sally Newton, Smethport, Pennsylvania
Featured In: 60 Sneaky Ways to Eat More Vegetables
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat two 8x4-in. loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen sides from pans with a knife. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Dark Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p206
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review