Dark Chocolate Cherry Brownies Recipe
“Since retirement, we’ve had to watch our calories but still like something sweet every so often. This downsized recipe helps us stay in line,” says Barbara Estabrook of Rhinelander, Wisconsin. “Sometimes I drizzle the brownies with chocolate.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and quartered
- 3 dark chocolate candy bars (1.45 ounces each), chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1. Pat cherries dry with paper towels; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup chopped candy bars with oil; stir until smooth. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, extract, salt and melted chocolate. Add flour; mix well. Stir in cherries and remaining candy bars.
- 2. Spread into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 brownie equals 260 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 34 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC