Dark Chocolate Cherry Brownies
“Since retirement, we’ve had to watch our calories but still like something sweet every so often. This downsized recipe helps us stay in line,” says Barbara Estabrook of Rhinelander, Wisconsin. “Sometimes I drizzle the brownies with chocolate.”
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and quartered
- 3 dark chocolate candy bars (1.45 ounces each), chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Pat cherries dry with paper towels; set aside. In a microwave-safe
- bowl, melt 1/2 cup chopped candy bars with oil; stir until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, extract, salt and melted
- chocolate. Add flour; mix well. Stir in cherries and remaining candy
- Spread into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until
- brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 brownie equals 260 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 34 mg sodium,