Dark Chocolate Carrot Cake
Carrot cake has a dark side—and it’s divine! Cream cheese and shredded carrots in the batter keep the cake moist, while toasted nuts and cinnamon boost the flavor.
—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, divided
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) cream cheese frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, cream cheese, pudding mix,
- milk, eggs and cinnamon; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on
- medium for 2 minutes. Stir in carrots and 1/2 cup walnuts. Pour into
- three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle top with remaining walnuts. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 504 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium,