Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes Recipe
These adventurous cupcakes were a challenge by friends that turned into a great success. Use extra-smoky bacon to really get the salty, rich flavor. —Sandy Ploy, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, eggs, oil and coffee until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in two-thirds of the bacon.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with remaining bacon; dust with remaining cocoa. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 22 cupcakes.
1 cupcake equals 354 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC