- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/3 cup water
- Food coloring, coarse sugar and assorted sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, beat almond paste and egg yolks until crumbly. Add butter, sugar and salt; beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Divide into four portions; shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and water until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Color frosting if desired. Frost cookies; decorate with coarse sugar and sprinkles if desired. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 13-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Daria's Best-Ever Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"Everyone says their sugar cookies are the "Best Ever", however, this one is it for me. I've made sugar cookies every Christmas but this is the one I keep going back to. The flavor is delicate and the dough really stands up to rolling and cutting shapes - easy to work with. I get many compliments with this one!"
"We loved these sugar cookies! Turned out so good!"
"I line my cookie sheets with parchment paper. Cookies do not stick to the paper. And, it makes it so easy to transfer hot cookies to a cooling rack. My cookies do not burn when I bake them on parchment paper."
"Great flavor for this cookie! I would suggest working with the dough quickly since it gets sticky as it warms. Use cookie cutters that don't have intricate parts since the dough can get stuck in them. I used basic shapes like trees, snow flakes and stars."
"These are just awesome. The taste is something you just cant get with almond extract. Few ingedients and super easy. You do need to leave them on the pan for 2 minutes. It will help with the falling apart."