Danish Twists Recipe
My twin sister and I (we're 18) love to bake together, and this was one of the first yeast breads we tried. Any day becomes a special occasion when these rich buttery twists are on the menu! But plan ahead...the dough needs to rise overnight. -Charys Rockey, Rochelle, Texas
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Seedless raspberry jam or apricot preserves
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in yeast mixture and egg yolks; stir just until dough clings together. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 9-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Cut into 7-in. x 1-in. strips. Pinch ends together, forming a circle; twist once to form a figure eight.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Brush with egg whites. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2-in.-deep indentation in the center of each twist; fill with jam.
- Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 27 rolls.
Originally published as Danish Twists in Taste of Home April/May 2003, p39
Reviews for Danish Twists(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mother's Day Pastry Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >