Danish Rice Pudding (Risengrod)
WE use this old-fashioned traditional Danish dish as our first course on Christmas Eve, but many other times as well. It has a smooth, delicate flavor and is true comfort food.
3 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons medium grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring the milk, rice and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until slightly
- thickened, stirring frequently.
- Spoon pudding into individual dishes. Combine sugar and cinnamon;
- sprinkle over the tops. Dot with butter. Serve immediately. Yield: 3
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 235 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 milk, 1/2 fat.