- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Ground nutmeg
- In a soup kettle, bring ham bone and 2 quarts water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until meat pulls away from the bone.
- Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, trim any meat and dice. Discard bone. Return ham to kettle along with potatoes, onions, celery, parsley, cabbage and carrots; cook 40 minutes.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Slowly pour into the soup, stirring constantly. Bring soup to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Remove from the heat. Garnish with nutmeg. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Danish Potato Soup in Country October/November 1992, p49
Reviews for Danish Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2014
"Really good tasting soup. Was thin but a great change from thick soups. I will make again."
Reviewed Jul. 27, 2012
"Can't click on stars. Very good. I thickened a little. lovely flavor."
Reviewed May. 15, 2010
"soup was good but thin"
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2010
"a little thin, but nice flavor"