- shortening, salt, cardamom, eggs and 4 cups flour; beat until
- smooth. Stir in raisins, candied fruit and enough remaining flour to
- form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
- half. Roll each portion into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Brush with butter
- and sprinkle with sugar to within 1/2-in. of edges. Roll up,
- jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and
- tuck ends under. Place, seam side down, in two greased 9x5-in. loaf
- pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. For topping, combine sugar, flour and
- cardamom; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over loaves. Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 253 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.