I think that, as long as I’m in the kitchen baking, I might as well make enough to share. This traditional recipe gives me three cheese-filled coffee cakes drizzled with a sweet vanilla icing.
Featured In: 17 Festive Christmas Brunch Ideas
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, milk and eggs; beat until smooth (dough will be soft). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth. Add egg, poppy seeds and extracts; mix until blended.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a well-floured surface; divide into thirds. Return two portions to the refrigerator. Roll remaining portion into a 14x8-in. rectangle; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread a third of the filling down center of rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips, about 2-1/4 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over coffee cakes. Yield: 3 coffee cakes (10 slices each).
Originally published as Danish Coffee Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p172
Reviews for Danish Coffee Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2016
"Delicious! I only made half of the recipe for the dough, but made the whole recipe of the filling. I will definitely be making this again!"