Danish Coffee Cakes Recipe
I think that, as long as I’m in the kitchen baking, I might as well make enough to share. This traditional recipe gives me three cheese-filled coffee cakes drizzled with a sweet vanilla icing.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, milk and eggs; beat until smooth (dough will be soft). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth. Add egg, poppy seeds and extracts; mix until blended.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a well-floured surface; divide into thirds. Return two portions to the refrigerator. Roll remaining portion into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread a third of the filling down center of rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips, about 2-1/4 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans on wire racks. In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients; drizzle over coffee cakes. Yield: 3 coffee cakes (10 slices each).
Originally published as Danish Coffee Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual
Reviews for Danish Coffee Cakes(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >