Danish Christmas Cake with Orange Coconut Topping Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/4 cups chopped red candied cherries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Combine the buttermilk, vanilla, orange juice and peel. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in the dates, cherries and pecans.
- 3. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 4. For topping, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice and peel; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut; cook 1 minute longer. Slowly pour over warm cake. Let stand overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 746 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 118g carbohydrate (85g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Danish Christmas Cake with Orange Coconut Topping
"My mom made this cake for mamy years at Christmas time for friends and family. She cut the recipe out of the paper, My mom is gone now but I was so glad to find the recipe so I could create my own memories"