Danish Christmas Cake with Orange Coconut Topping Recipe
If you're not a fan of fruitcake, you will be after trying this cake! By letting it stand overnight before serving, the fabulous flavors are really enhanced.—Gail Sellers, Maiden, North Carolina
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/4 cups chopped red candied cherries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Combine the buttermilk, vanilla, orange juice and peel. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in the dates, cherries and pecans.
- 3. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 4. For topping, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice and peel; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut; cook 1 minute longer. Slowly pour over warm cake. Let stand overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 746 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 118g carbohydrate (85g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Danish Christmas Cake with Orange Coconut Topping
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC