- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/4 cups chopped red candied cherries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the buttermilk, vanilla, orange juice and peel. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in the dates, cherries and pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For topping, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice and peel; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut; cook 1 minute longer. Slowly pour over warm cake. Let stand overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Danish Christmas Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p66
Reviews for Danish Christamas Cake with Orange Coconut Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2014
"My mom made this cake for mamy years at Christmas time for friends and family. She cut the recipe out of the paper, My mom is gone now but I was so glad to find the recipe so I could create my own memories"