"Can I have the recipe?" is the question I'm always asked whenever I serve this delicious dessert. Rhubarb is generally ready first thing in spring, and these bars are a great way to welcome the season.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 4 to 5 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the milk and egg yolk. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. x 9-in. x rectangle. Place one rectangle in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cornflakes.
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Stir in pie filling and vanilla; spread over cornflakes. Top with the remaining pastry. Cut slits in the top.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Danish Cherry Rhubarb Dessert in Country Woman March/April 2003, p33
Reviews for Danish Cherry Rhubarb Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review