I've made these morsels almost every Christmas for the past 35 years. Everyone enjoys the chewy treats.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3-3/4 cups chopped pecans (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dark or milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- Butter a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, corn syrup, butter and cream.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Cool.
- Cut into 1-in. squares. Place squares on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; chill thoroughly. Dip each candy into melted candy coating. Refrigerate until firm. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Originally published as Dandy Caramel Candies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p37
Reviews for Dandy Caramel Candies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review