Dandelion Potato Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups torn dandelion or spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1. Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, flour, vinegar and mustard until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in onions. Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add onion mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, celery salt, garlic powder, pepper and remaining salt. Add to potato mixture; toss to coat.
- 4. Chop three eggs; slice remaining egg for topping. Add chopped egg, dandelion greens, peppers and pickle relish to potato salad; stir just until combined. Top with sliced egg; sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Editor's Note: Verify that dandelion greens haven't been treated with lawn-care chemicals.
3/4 cup: 164 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.