36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Candy buttons and black decorating gel
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda,
- cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least
- 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to
- 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. dancing gingerbread
- boy-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Cool on wire racks.
- For mummy bandages, pipe frosting using basket weave pastry tip #47.