- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- DILL CREAM SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in butter in batches until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients until blended. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meatballs. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Dad's Swedish Meatballs
Sort By :
Looked a long time for swedish meat Balls these are the best I ever made. Definetly will make again. We eat ours over steamed white rice Jean Kulpmont, PA
Great recipe! My family loved the flavor and I love the quickness of making the dinner.
These were excellent!!! I too, baked the meatballs instead of frying (350 degree oven for 20 mins, turning once). Will definately be making these again!
I haven't made this specific recipe but have one from the Taste of Home site that is virtually identical, other than this one does not call for an extra step of sauteing the onions first. As another reviewer has done, I used all beef (can't get ground pork from my local grocery store) and started to use half and half instead of cream. There is NO difference in taste and richness with the sauce with the half and half, which obviously is less fat and fewer calories than heavy cream. I like to make the meatballs ahead and freeze them in packages for a really fast prep. Just put the frozen meatballs in the dish, make the sauce and add 15 minutes to the cooking time.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meatball Recipes >