Dad's Peach Ice Cream Recipe
"MY DAD was the ice cream maker at our house. We had an old-fashioned freezer that had to be cranked by hand, and he took great delight in turning the handle until the ice cream was just right! With the addition of fresh fruit that he picked in a nearby orchard, this was a very special treat."
- 4 cups milk
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups pureed peaches or nectarines
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°. Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Gradually stir a quarter of the hot mixture into eggs, mixing constantly. Return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and the mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, fruit, vanilla and almond extract if desired. Add the chilled milk mixture, stirring well.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Yield: 3 quarts.
Originally published as Dad's Peach Ice Cream in Reminisce July/August 1994, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Dad's Peach Ice Cream(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 12, 2011
WOW this is REALLY, REALLY Yummy.....I used a soup ladel to transfer the hot mix into the eggs...I'm not left-handed so it was a little tricky...well worth the steps!!!