Dad's Onion Rings
When I was growing up, my dad enjoyed making these French fried onion rings. I'm not sure where the recipe came from, but it's been in Mom's recipe box for as long as I can remember.
When I married 22 years ago, I copied some of Mom's recipes and this one was a must. Now I make this family favorite, and I'll expecially try to make it for Dad when he visits!
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 medium onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cold water
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Separate onion slices into rings; soak in water 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour, egg, milk, sugar, salt
- and oil until smooth. Drain onions and pat dry. With a fork, dip
- rings into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to
- 375°. Fry, a few rings at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until
- golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6