Among Mother's old newspaper clippings and recipes scribbled on the back of envelopes, I came across this treasured recipe. It always gives me a warm feeling when I go through her recipe box, and I have fond memories of her baking these cookies.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, cereal, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten with a fork.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 3 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Dad's Oatmeal Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p66
Reviews for Dad's Oatmeal Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review