- 1 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 pounds)
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (2 pounds)
- In a small bowl, whisk the first five ingredients until blended; stir in onions. Pour 1-1/2 cups marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat. Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bag. Place chicken on grill rack, skin side up. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 15 minutes. Turn; grill 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Dad's Lemony Grilled Chicken
Sort By :
We had this for dinner tonight on the grill. Delish. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and would definitely make again. I threw everything into a plastic bag and marinated over night. No basting required and still moist and delish. We did use the direct method and only for 7 minutes on each side.
This recipe is better than the version we have used forever. Thanks! 95% of our grilling, we do a ton of it, is over indirect coals. Place the thighs and legs away from the coals, skin side up, cover with lid with the vents wide open. In 50-55 min you have great juicy chicken. Do not turn, peek or baste during the cooking time. Marinating overnight is a plus. With this amount of oil your chicken skin will look and taste almost like fried chicken. Reheat marinade and baste at the table for a wonderful finishing touch.
I use this same recipe for Cornish hens, it's excellent.
Very tasty! I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and marinated overnight.
This came out moist and pleasant. I'm not sure that the marinade added as much flavor as I would have liked, but it was good.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- BBQ Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Chicken Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- July 4th Dinner >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Main Dishes >
- Labor Day Recipes >