Dad's Flatbread Recipe
While Mom was busy with the rest of the meal, Dad helped by making this flat bread. There's no mistaking that this flavorful bread is homemade. It has a wonderful texture and lovely golden color. -Anne Heinonen, Howell, Michigan
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup rye or whole wheat flour
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of water. Add sugar, oil, salt, rye or whole wheat flour, 3 cups all-purpose flour and remaining water; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half. On a greased baking sheet, flatten each half to 1-in. thickness. Pierce each loaf several times with a fork. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
One slice equals 116 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC