My father always liked this salad, so I shared this recipe with my mom. When she first made it for Dad, he enjoyed it so much he told here to be sure to share the recipe with me. I laughed because he didn't know that I had given the recipe to Mom in the first place. I knew he'd like it.—Judy Long, Limestone, Tennessee
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. Arrange greens, onion, eggs and bacon on salad plates; drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Dad's Favorite Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p7
Reviews for Dad's Favorite Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2009
"YUM!!I really liked this dressing. It is really good with the bacon and boiled eggs.I've also used bottled bacon pieces and that is good, too. And there is enough onion flavor in the dressing for me that I don't add the red onion in the salad. I add shredded carrot in their place."
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2009
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2008
"This has been an all time favorite at our house! Thanks so much for sharing, we love it!"