Dad's Famous Stuffies Recipe
- 20 fresh large quahog clams (about 10 pounds)
- 1 pound hot chourico or linguica (smoked Portuguese sausage) or fully cooked Spanish chorizo
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 package (14 ounces) herb stuffing cubes
- 1 cup water
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1. Add 2 in. of water to a stockpot. Add clams and chourico; bring to a boil. Cover and steam 15-20 minutes or until clams open.
- 2. Remove clams and sausage from pot, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; cool slightly. Discard any unopened clams.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove clam meat from shells. Separate shells; reserve 30 half shells for stuffing. Place clam meat in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 4. Remove casings from sausage; cut sausage into 1-1/2-in. pieces. Place in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add sausage, onion and seafood seasoning to chopped clams. Stir in stuffing cubes. Add reserved cooking liquid and enough water to reach desired moistness, about 1 cup.
- 5. Spoon clam mixture into reserved shells. Place in 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Preheat broiler.
- 6. Broil clams 4-6 in. from heat 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with lemon wedges and pepper sauce. Yield: 10 servings (3 clams each).
3 stuffed clams equals 296 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,188 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.