The third of July is almost as important as the Fourth in my family. We make these stuffies on the third every year, and it's an event in and of itself! —Karen Barros, Bristol, Rhode Island
- 20 fresh large quahog clams (about 10 pounds)
- 1 pound hot chourico or linguica (smoked Portuguese sausage) or fully cooked Spanish chorizo
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 package (14 ounces) herb stuffing cubes
- 1 cup water
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Add 2 in. of water to a stockpot. Add clams and chourico; bring to a boil. Cover and steam 15-20 minutes or until clams open.
- Remove clams and sausage from pot, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; cool slightly. Discard any unopened clams.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove clam meat from shells. Separate shells; reserve 30 half shells for stuffing. Place clam meat in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Remove casings from sausage; cut sausage into 1-1/2-in. pieces. Place in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add sausage, onion and seafood seasoning to chopped clams. Stir in stuffing cubes. Add reserved cooking liquid and enough water to reach desired moistness, about 1 cup.
- Spoon clam mixture into reserved shells. Place in 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Preheat broiler.
Broil clams 4-6 in. from heat 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with lemon wedges and pepper sauce.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked stuffed clams in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan until firm. Transfer to resealable freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, place two stuffed clams on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on high 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve as directed. Yield: 10 servings (3 clams each).
Originally published as Dad's Famous Stuffies in Taste of Home June/July 2014
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Dad's Famous Stuffies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review