- 20 fresh large quahog clams (about 10 pounds)
- 1 pound hot chourico or linguica (smoked Portuguese sausage) or fully cooked Spanish chorizo
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 package (14 ounces) herb stuffing cubes
- 1 cup water
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Add 2 in. of water to a stockpot. Add clams and chourico; bring to a boil. Cover and steam 15-20 minutes or until clams open.
- Remove clams and sausage from pot, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; cool slightly. Discard any unopened clams.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove clam meat from shells. Separate shells; reserve 30 half shells for stuffing. Place clam meat in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Remove casings from sausage; cut sausage into 1-1/2-in. pieces. Place in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add sausage, onion and seafood seasoning to chopped clams. Stir in stuffing cubes. Add reserved cooking liquid and enough water to reach desired moistness, about 1 cup.
- Spoon clam mixture into reserved shells. Place in 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Preheat broiler.
- Broil clams 4-6 in. from heat 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with lemon wedges and pepper sauce. Yield: 10 servings (3 clams each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Dad's Famous Stuffies
Sort By :
I have been making these for years, almost the same way. Sometimes I use cooked breakfast sausage for those that don't like them hot and I do serve them with a little melted butter. Yum!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Seafood Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >