- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Let stand 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease a griddle or large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Stir blueberries into batter. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle or skillet. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is brown. Yield: 12 pancakes.
Reviews for Dad's Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
"Only change I made was to add some chopped walnuts for extra fiber. Delicious pancakes, thanks "Dad"."
"I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out fluffy and delicious!"
"Really tasty, but my pancakes turned out more flat than fluffy."
"Good taste, but mine came out pretty thin also. I would maybe try less buttermilk next time."
"Followed recipe exactly like another viewer too flat. And didn't like the flavor combination either. Made another batch with an old recipe."
"Sadly, these pancakes didn't quite do it for us this morning. Not sure what the issue was but they turned out more like wafers or crepes than thick, fluffy pancakes. The flavour of the oats and vanilla didn't quite sit well with the cornmeal and blueberries. I'm a stickler for following a recipe to a T but these just didn't pan out. - Volunteer Field Editor"
"Made them for dinner, was supperb. Love the addition on of quick oats in the pancakes. Had extra buttermilk that always goes to waste so I made a batch for my mom dad. Saving this receipe for my all time favorite blueberry buttermilk pancake. Thank you Dad for sharing your receipe!"
"Dad sure makes some good pancakes! These were different, but I really like them and will be making them again. Nice and fluffy and a little healthier than others. I halved the recipe because they were only for me."
"Just got my new issue and saw this recipe. Got all the ingredients and made them this morning......they are just wonderful!!! My husband kept giving them 2 thumbs up! Thanks for a wonderful breakfast recipe which I will be making again and again. Debbie Agans"
"I never have quick cooking oats on hand, only Old fashioned, so I used those. I don't think it would make that much difference since it was such a tiny amount. This is a good recipe and I will be making again."