Cutout Sugar Cookies Recipe
Cutting fun shapes from sweet dough and decorating the cookies with icing and candies is a Christmas-time tradition many families, including Sherry Taylor's. "This easy sugar cookie recipe yields delicious results," assures this Metropolis, Illinois subscriber.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For icing, cream the butter and shortening in a bowl. Add vanilla and salt. Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk; beat until light and fluffy. Tint icing with desired colors of food coloring; decorate the cookies. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen (3-inch cookies).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC