Cute Kitty Cookies Recipe
An oatmeal refrigerator cookie recipe proved "purrfect" for cat cookies. Half of the dough is chocolate, which frames the playful faces. It was a game of cat and mouse to see what dessert plate would be emptied first!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Red-hot candies
- Shoestring black licorice, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats. Divide dough in half. Add melted chocolate to one portion.
- Shape the plain dough into an 8-in. roll. Roll chocolate dough between waxed paper into an 8-in. square. Place plain dough at one end of square; roll up. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours or over night.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4 in. slices. Place 2 i. apart on ungreased baking sheets. To form ears, pinch two triangles on the top of each cookie.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately place two chocolate chips for eyes, a red-hot for the nose and six pieces of licorice on each for whiskers. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cute Kitty Cookies in Taste of Home April/May 1999, p37
Reviews for Cute Kitty Cookies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 31, 2013
While these are incredibly cute, they were dry! We did not like them at all. They were not sweet and didnt have a lot of taste. I think some brown sugar should be added to the recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >