- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 4 cups chicken, ham or tuna salad
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Yellow liquid or paste food coloring
- 2 ripe olive slices
- 3 pimiento strips
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Cut the top fourth off the loaf of bread. Carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill shell with salad mixture. Replace bread top. Combine cream cheese and food coloring; spread over top and sides of loaf. Place olives at one end for caterpillar's eyes. Arrange pimiento strips to form a mouth. Cut one pepper ring into two 3-in. pieces; insert above eyes for antennae. Cut each remaining pepper ring in one place; place over loaf a few inches apart, trimming ends if necessary. Sprinkle carrots next to the rings. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cute Caterpillar Sandwich in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p41
Reviews for Cute Caterpillar Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review