Cute Caterpillar Sandwich Recipe
Packed with a favorite sandwich filling, the French bread loaf is coated with cream cheese, then decorated with green pepper and carrot trims. Just cut this big sandwich into slices and let kids get their finger gooey in the colorful frosting as they nibble away.Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 4 cups chicken, ham or tuna salad
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Yellow liquid or paste food coloring
- 2 ripe olive slices
- 3 pimiento strips
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Cut the top fourth off the loaf of bread. Carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill shell with salad mixture. Replace bread top. Combine cream cheese and food coloring; spread over top and sides of loaf. Place olives at one end for caterpillar's eyes. Arrange pimiento strips to form a mouth. Cut one pepper ring into two 3-in. pieces; insert above eyes for antennae. Cut each remaining pepper ring in one place; place over loaf a few inches apart, trimming ends if necessary. Sprinkle carrots next to the rings. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cute Caterpillar Sandwich in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p41
Reviews for Cute Caterpillar Sandwich(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review