Served warm and drizzled with sauce, this dessert has down-home appeal, says Barbara Little of Bedford, Indiana. "It's a soft custard-like bread pudding."
Recommended: 32 Recipes For Your Baking Bucket List
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 slices day-old bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 7 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, butter and cinnamon. Add the bread cubes and raisins; mix well. Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and water until smooth. Add butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm or cold over pudding. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Custard Bread Pudding in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p8
Reviews forCustard Bread Pudding
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2012
"Made this for a dominoes night. Everyone loved it. Will make it again,"
Reviewed Aug. 8, 2010
"very easy to makelove it"