Custard Berry Parfaits Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups 1% milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 4. Just before serving, spoon 1/4 cup of berries into each parfait glass; top with 2 tablespoons of custard. Repeat layers. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup berries with 1/4 cup custard equals 119 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.