Here's a low-fat dessert that captures the flavors of the season. The homemade custard comes together in minutes, but seems like you fussed. —Trisha Kruse of Eagle, Idaho
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups 1% milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Gently stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, spoon 1/4 cup of berries into each parfait glass; top with 2 tablespoons of custard. Repeat layers. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Custard Berry Parfaits in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p27
Reviews for Custard Berry Parfaits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review