Growing up on a farm, I helped in the kitchen and had three brothers who liked to eat! My love of cooking continues today.
- 4 pounds butternut squash
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Add 1/2 in. of hot water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Carefully scoop out squash into a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and apple in butter until tender. Add the garlic, curry powder and ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and pureed squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the cream, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Curried Squash Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p113
Reviews for Curry Spiced Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review