- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 tub Knorr concentrated chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Hot cooked rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro and chutney, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Place chicken, green pepper and onion in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; pour broth mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken and cool slightly. Cut or shred meat into bite-size pieces and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice. If desired, top with cilantro and chutney. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Curry Chicken Stew
"This recipe is fabulous with a few modifications. I added some curry paste for more of a rich flavor, and cut the broth in half. I also added carrots and potatoes instead of the pepper/onion (personal preference.)One thing I wish the recipe mentioned is how you have to work to dissolve the concentrated stock before you add it to the crock. if you don't heat it up and spend some time stirring it, it will stay in block form, and will not dissolve into the broth. So heat the liquid and mix it all together well before adding the spices."
"I added some peeled yellow potatoes and chopped carrots. The veggies were not cooked all the way after 4.5 hours, so I transferred to a pot on the stove & brought to a boil while shredding the chicken. Then returned the chicken to the pot & continued cooking until veggies were tender. I also added a can of coconut milk while it was on the stove. That made it fantastic! I served it with jasmine rice and both of my girls - 7 & 8 year old picky eaters - LOVED it! They kept asking for more! The end product reminded me of a yellow chicken curry I used to get at a little Thai cafe run by immigrants of Thailand. I will definitely make this again."
"I made this for my son and myself and we loved it! I have never cooked with curry before so it was a new taste for me. I had to adjust it for normal stove-top cooking but it was really very good! It might not hurt to add other vegetables but it was fine the way it was. I will definitely make this again!"
"Recipe needs conversion to Electric Pressure Cooker method too, done super fast. We're not all planners! Need both methods always. Not leaving a cooking device turned on all day long in my home. Otherwise this recipe sounds good but would add a few more ingredients to give it more texture. Carrots? Celery? Onions? What others, guys? Don't you think all recipes should include multiple methods so we can go with our preferences? Fast, slow, oven, stovetop. Spin the dial & save the method we prefer in the Paprika app. We need a recipe revolution!!!"
"A can of soup?!"