Curry Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 teaspoon oil for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.
- 2. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and green pepper in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add apple; cook 2 minutes longer. Combine flour and salt. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Stir in the curry, ginger and pepper flakes. Return chicken to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.