Curried Turkey Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced red potatoes
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Stir in flour and curry until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the potatoes, celery, carrots, parsley and sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the turkey, half-and-half, spinach, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups: 219 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Curried Turkey Vegetable Soup
"DELICIOUS...even by altering ingredients. We're dairy-free, so I used coconut cream instead of half-n-half. My husband asked if he might have it again for breakfast, and later that night when I was attending my father in the middle of the night, , he rolled over and said, "That WAS wonderful soup!""
"I cannot begin to count how many people request this recipe?..it is an absolute "keeper"!!!"
"I always have to make a double batch when preparing this soup - everyone loves it and wants some leftover to take in lunches! Very flavorful and you can adjust your curry amount or type to change up the flavor. I've made this with both turkey and chicken and it's great both ways! I even added in 2 extra sweet potatoes I had on hand - just peeled & diced them up and cooked them along with the red potatoes. Great recipe!"
"made this with leftover chicken - sooooo good! didn't have fresh sage so used rubbed sage instead. will definately make it again. loved the curry & sage flavors."