Curried Sweet Potato Chowder Recipe
The flavor of curry is subtle in this creamy, comforting chowder. For fun, I sometimes sprinkle individual servings with pumpkin or sunflower kernels.
- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Place 2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. In another large saucepan, combine the flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the milk until smooth. Add the sweet potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas and cream; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Curried Sweet Potato Chowder in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p63
Reviews for Curried Sweet Potato Chowder(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review